Low Vision Clinics
Low Vision Clinics
The New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired offers free low vision evaluations to infants, toddlers and students throughout New Mexico through its Access to Learning Low Vision Clinic. The mobile clinic travels throughout the state and offers a special medical examination to determine if a student's visual abilities can be improved. At the Low Vision Clinic, a doctor of optometry who has received specialized training in working with students with low vision will measure how well the student sees and will determine whether any low vision devices might improve visual functioning.
This clinic is different from a typical eye exam in several ways. Medical personnel, a student’s family and teacher of the visually impaired will all confer throughout the evaluation. Functional vision as well as the medical eye exam; the goals a student and family have for themselves; reading medium and speeds become part of the assessment process. Therefore, the length of the Low Vision Clinic visit will vary greatly, depending on the age of the student and individual needs, as well as the extent of follow-up trial with devices provided. Expect to spend one to three hours at the clinic.
A summary report of findings will be sent to the student's parents and the student’s TVI. Follow-up services will be planned as appropriate. The results from the Low Vision Clinic can be included as an essential component in the process of identifying the needs and outcomes for students who have low vision.
Albuquerque-September 13, 2017
Albuquerque-September 20, 2017
Gallup-October 18, 2017
Albuquerque-October 25, 2017
Roswell-November 15-16, 2017
Las Cruces-January 24-25, 2017
• Paperwork is due four weeks prior to the clinic date.
• Scheduling is not done until the packet is completed and returned.
• LVC What is It? Who Needs It?
• Reasons for Students to be Seen at the Low Vision Clinic
• Considerations for a Child Who Has Multiple Disabilities..Will a Visit to the LVC Be Beneficial?
• Referral Process for NMSBVI LVC Clinic Evaluation
• Consent Form (English)
• Parent/Guardian Pre-Exam (English)
• TVI Checklist (English)
• TVI Pre-Exam (English)
• Student Pre-Exam (English)
• Consent Form (Spanish)
• Parent/Guardian Pre-Exam (Spanish)
• Student Pre-Exam (Spanish)
• LVC What is it? Who Needs it? (Spanish)
Low Vision Clinic Consultant
Outreach Dept. Administrative Assistant
For more information, please contact:
Julie Johnson at 575-439-4432 or Email: JJohnson@nmsbvi.k12.nm.us